Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Favorite Beer"

It used to be every time someone would ask me what my favorite beer was, I would say something along the lines of Coors Light or even Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugel's for a period of time. Today when I get asked that question, I honesty have no idea what my favorite beer is right now. As I am trying more and more different types of beers, it gets a little harder to decide on a certain beer as my overall "favorite", but rather what is my favorite beer at that moment. 

What I've come to realize is that I have several different "favorite beers" that are based on either the season or a certain type of event going on.

For instance, right now with it being cold outside, I tend to like darker beers and stouts where normally in the spring/summer time I wouldn't. I have been going through several different seasonal variety packs this winter season, and I'd have to say the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is definitely at the top of my list.

I know this isn't a really dark/stout beer as I previously mentioned, more of a bronze color, but I have become a fan of IPA beers lately and this definitely hits on that. Though aside from other IPA's there is still a darker/malty feel to the beer while still having the bitterness that I've come to like from IPA's.

A slightly different situation that I might find myself in, is what is my "favorite beer" when quantity matters more than the quality of the beer. Some examples of this would be really hot days and something really cold to quickly quench your thirst or playing drinking games with old college buddies, or special occasions where I know beer is going to be consumed over a long period of time.

As much as I love the taste of craft beers, the truth is that when I'm playing beer pong or biz (form of beer die), I'm not going to have Sam Adams in my cup while the opponent has Busch Light....it puts me at a slight disadvantage and I am a competitive person.


Not only is this harder to consume at a fast rate (which is sometimes required) but due to the higher alcohol content of the beer, my hand-to-eye coordination will decline at a faster rate than that of my opponent. So when it comes to these circumstances, my beer of choice has to be something easy to consume, and not have a high ABV....this beer is Coors Light which was my main beer in college, so you can call me loyal, haha.

I do look forward to expanding my taste and appreciation of different beers, and who knows....maybe someday I will come across a beer that I will be able to give the title of My Favorite Beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment